Fine dining near the cherry blossoms
Spring is the season for cherry blossom viewing. Whether viewing them in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto or Hokkaido,
increase your pleasure by visiting a nearby restaurant recommended by Savor Japan.
Late March to early April
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
This large, traditional park only a 10-minute walk from Shinjuku Station features 1,100 cherry trees of 65 varieties.
- 9:00 to 16:30
(entry until 16:00, Mondays are holidays)
- Admission fee
- 200 yen for adults
50 yen for students
- 10 minutes by foot from the south entrance of Shinjuku Station (JR Yamanote, Keio and Odakyu lines)
Ueno Onshi Park
Renowned for cherry-blossom viewing since the Edo Period, Ueno Onshi Park’s cherry trees are illuminated by more than 800 paper lanterns at night.
- 5:00 to 23:00
- 5 minutes by foot from Ueno Station (JR Yamanote, Ginza and Hibiya lines).
3 minutes by foot from Keisei Ueno Station (Keisei line).
Blossoming cherry trees line both sides of the Sumida River for about a kilometer and can be enjoyed from the shore or a cruise boat.
- 5 minutes by foot from Asakusa Station (Tobu Isesaki and Ginza lines).
7 minutes by foot from Honjo-azumabashi Station (Asakusa line).
More than 830 blossoming cherry trees line the banks of the Meguro River for 4 kilometers with petals swirling in the water. The sight is inspiring whether visiting in the daytime or evening.
- 2 minutes by foot from Naka-meguro Station (Tokyu Tōyoko and Hibiya lines).
5 minutes by foot from JR Meguro Station.
Late March to late April
3,000 cherry trees, including Somei-Yoshino, bloom throughout the park. The very popular Nishinomaru Garden is especially recommended for cherry blossom viewing.
- 10 minutes by foot from Tanimachi 4-chome Station (Tanimachi and Chuo subway lines)
Mid March to mid April
Relish the beautiful contrast of green foliage and fully blossoming cherry trees on the mountainsides.
- 5 minutes by foot from Arashiyama Station (Hankyu Arashiyama and Randen Arashiyama lines)
Around 1,500 cherry trees fill this world heritage site, providing a stunning panoramic view of blossoms from the temple's main stage.
- 6:00 to 18:00
- Admission fee
- Adults: 400 yen,
children: 200 yen
- 10 minutes by foot from Gojozaka Bus Station (accessible by bus from JR Kyoto Station)
Early May to mid May
Sapporo Odori Park
This beautiful park extending for about 1.5 kilometers from east to west is lined with as many as 4,700 cherry trees of 92 species.
- Near Odori Station (Tozai, Namboku and Toho subway lines) or Nishi 11-chome station.
Around 1,600 blooming cherry trees wrap the outer perimeter of this star-shaped fortress in pink. Lanterns illuminate the blossoms in the evening for a fantastic sight.
- 15 minutes by foot from Goryōkaku-koen-mae Bus Station (accessible by tram from JR Hakodate Station)
Known in Japan as home of the cherry trees, it boasts around 10,000 cherry trees of 250 varieties that provide a full month of cherry-blossom viewing pleasure.
- 7 minutes by foot from Matsumae Station (a 90-minute bus ride from JR Kikonai Station).