Like and Share us
Along with popular sightseeing attractions, there is a diversity of restaurants you will discover in Kyoto. Here's a selection of 15 dining establishments, including steak houses and teppanyaki (ingredients grilled on an iron griddle) restaurants, that offer delicious steak dishes around this former capital.
1. garu (Karawamachi)This restaurant takes pride in using locally produced branded meats and serving dishes that give you your money's worth. Procured by the owner himself, the reasonably-priced yet high-quality meats are carefully prepared and served rare on a lava rock plate. Guests can have their meat grilled according to their preference. A must-try is their [3-Kind Assortment of Char-Grilled Kyoto Meat] where you can enjoy meats from Kyoto, such as the Kyoto Tamba Kuroge Wagyu (a type of high-quality beef), Kyoto Aka chicken, and Kyoto pork. You can also challenge yourself to their exotic meat varieties such as horse meat and wild boar.
garuOpen: 5:00 pm - 1:00 am (L.O. 12:30 am)
Average price: [Dinner] 4,000 JPY
Access: 3 minutes walk from Shijo Kawaramachi station
Address: 3F, SAKIZO Kiyamachi-minami Bldg., 215, Nabeya-cho, Shijo-agaru, Kiyamachidori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto (Map)
2. LUDENS (Marutamachi)At LUDENS, experience dining on high-quality meat at a 100-year-old traditional house in Kyoto. Find delight in the Italian cuisine that uses Japanese ingredients inside the modern Japanese interior, which has retained the beauty of the original Japanese structure. Their [Straw-Grilled Beef] ranks no. 1 in popularity. It uses Omi beef directly sent from Kinoshita Ranch in the nearby prefecture of Shiga. The top-class umami (Japanese savory taste) of its lean meat is simply delightful! Through the [Chef’s Recommendations] course, you can sample healthy dishes created by the chef, who has a qualification showing his education in dietary and nutritional cooking based on traditional Chinese and Japanese medicines.
LUDENSOpen: Lunch 12:00 pm - 2:30 pm (L.O. 1:30 pm) Dinner 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm (L.O. 8:00 pm)
Average price: [Dinner] 15,000 JPY / [Lunch] 5,800 JPY
Access: 7 minutes walk from Karasuma Oike Station on the Karasuma subway line. Take Exit 1.
Address: 560-8, Ainomachi-dori Nijo-agaru Ebisu-machi, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto ()
3. Premium Wagyu Steak Hanasato (Gion-shijo)This teppanyaki restaurant is located inside a machiya (traditional Japanese townhouse) in the atmospheric Gion district. The counter seating on the first floor is a special treat, for you can enjoy the courtyard behind you and be in awe as your steak is grilled to perfection on the iron plate in front of you. The [Premium Yonezawa Beef Sirloin Steak], a dish of meat raised in the rich nature of Yonezawa in Yamagata Prefecture that’s served rare, is an exquisite item. You may pair the steak with Domaine, an uncommon wine variety in Japan, adeptly selected by their chef who is also an expert in wines.
Premium Wagyu Steak HanasatoOpen: Lunch 11:30 am - 3:00 pm (last order 2:30 pm) / Dinner 5:30 pm - 9:00 pm (last order 8:30 pm)
Average price: [Dinner] 15,000 JPY / [Lunch] 5,000 JPY
Access: 7 minutes on foot from Gion Shijo Station on the Keihan Main Line (Keihan Honsen)
Address: 404 Hashimoto-cho, Shinbashi-dori Hanami-koji Higashi-iru, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto (Map)
4. Kyoto Steak Wagyu - Gottie's BEEF (Kyoto)Kyoto Steak Wagyu - Gottie's BEEF lets you enjoy luxury steaks made with aged meat. When it comes to serving sizes, this restaurant deserves full marks! The place is easily accessible, being 2 minutes on foot from Kyoto Station, which makes it a popular spot among foreign tourists looking to eat authentic Western-style steak in Kyoto. There’s the [Wagyu Sirloin], a dish highlighting the concentrated umami of the 40-day aged meat that’s simply seasoned with rock salt, as well as the incredibly popular [5-Kind Gottie's Board] - a selection of 5 beef cuts, including top sirloin butt and sirloin, for those looking to enjoy a variety of meats.
Kyoto Steak Wagyu - Gottie's BEEFOpen: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Average price: -
Access: 2 minutes walk from JR Kyoto Station
Address: B1F, Kyoto Tower Bldg., 721-1, Higashishiokoji-cho, Karasuma Dori, Shichijo Sagaru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto (Map)
5. Sumibi Steak Sakai Kyoto Sanjo (Karasuma Oike)At this restaurant, you can savor the finest steak made with Kuroge Wagyu carefully selected from all over Japan. The modern Japanese ambience of the place is a standout. Within its top-class modern Japanese interior, you will find comfortable counter seats, as well as terrace seats where you can appreciate the elegant garden. The [Kuroge Wagyu Beef Sirloin], grilled using Hinata Binchotan charcoal, is a gastronomic delight that is cooked simply to let you thoroughly savor the umami of the meat. Aside from char-grilled steak, another recommended dish is the [Sashimi-style Kuroge Wagyu] that has been delicately cooked at low temperature for 2 hours. They also have an abundant selection of wines to pair with the meat.
Sumibi Steak Sakai Kyoto SanjoOpen: [Monday, Tuesday, Thursday - Sunday, National Holidays, Day before National Holidays] Lunch: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm (L.O. 1:00 pm) Dinner: 5:30 pm - 10:00 (L.O. 9:30 pm)
Average price: [Dinner] 10,000 JPY / [Lunch] 2,000 JPY
Access: 5 minutes walk from 5/6 Exit of Karasumaoike Station on Subway Karasuma Line / Go to south along with Karasuma Street, then go to west at Sanjo Street. Go straight about 100 meters, then on your left
Address: 1F, Umezawa Bldg., 66, Mikuracyo, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto (Map)
6. Le Steak Frites Gaspard zinzin (Karasuma)This restaurant resembles a Parisian bistro with its brick walls and wooden chairs. Enjoy the French style steaks at this restaurant. The meats are cooked when they are in their best condition, and after being grilled over wire grills, they are left to rest to achieve the perfect temperature. As a result, the moment you take a bite of your steak, the meat juices will explode into your mouth! Dishes not to be missed are the [Steak Fries], made with organic potatoes, and their [Premium Dinner], a meat platter.
Le Steak Frites Gaspard zinzinOpen: [Tuesday - Sunday, National Holidays, Day before National Holidays] Lunch: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm ( L.O. 2:00 pm), Dinner: 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm (L.O. 10:00 pm)
Average price: [Dinner] 4,000 JPY / [Lunch] 1,000 JPY
Access: 3 minutes walk to north from Hankyu Karasuma Station, or from the exit 21 of Subway Shijo Station.
Address: B1F, Shijo Karasuma Star Bldg., 650, Karasuma-dori Takoyakushi Sagaru Tearaimizu-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto (Map)
7. Plancha Ken (Gion-shijo)Plancha Ken is a teppanyaki restaurant managed by the former head chef of the long-established Kyoto Hotel Okura. It is a hidden spot in Gion where you can taste top-quality steak made only with Wagyu beef that’s been expertly selected by the chef, regardless of its grade. The chic and calm space allows you to leisurely savor the restaurant’s course meals, such as the [Higashiyama Course] that features Kuroge Wagyu sirloin steak or the [Gion Course] that comes with Wagyu steak as the main dish, as well as fresh lobster that is kept alive until it is to be cooked.
Plancha KenOpen: [Tuesday - Sunday, National Holidays, Day before National Holidays] 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm (L.O. 10:00 pm) We open also on Monday when it is a holiday.
Average price: [Dinner] 8,000 JPY
Access: 5 minutes walk from Exit 7 of Gion Shijo Station. Enter the corner of No.16-koji, Hanami-koji Tominaga-cho Higashi-iru, immediately after entering the small alley at a tobacco shop
Address: 1F, Ota Bldg., 282-3, Gionmachi Kitagawa, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto city, Kyoto (Map)
8. Gion Hana Usagi (Gion-shijo)Here, you can enjoy teppanyaki and other Japanese dishes. The sophisticated interior is resplendent and gorgeous, with a Japanese design that perfectly reflects Kyoto. For their [Kuroge Wagyu Sirloin], they make sure to get the best-quality beef, regardless of where it had been raised. This dish get full marks both for the portion size and taste. The top-selling [Gion Course] consists of Kuroge Wagyu fillet steak, Wagyu nigiri sushi, soup made with seasonal vegetables, and grilled vegetables. If you're lucky, you may even be able to meet a genuine maiko (apprentice geisha) there!
Gion Hana UsagiOpen: [Weekdays, Saturday, Day Before Holidays] 5:30 pm - 3:00 am
Average price: [Dinner] 6,000 JPY
Access: From Yasaka Shrine, take the street south of Gion Kaikan and head west for 20m. It's a 2-minute walk.
Address: 1F, Dojo Bldg., 290-6, Gion-machi Kitagawa, Hanamikoji Tominaga Higashi-iru, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto (Map)
9. TENTATION (Sanjo Keihan)This hidden bistro is known to be frequented even by top-class chefs. It lets you enjoy authentic dishes, created by a chef who had worked in a famous French restaurant, in a casual, cafe-like setting. Aside from the regular meat varieties, which are beef, pork, and chicken, they also offer duck, lamb, and at times, wild boar and venison. Their must-try [Kyoto A5 Rank Sirloin Steak], made with domestic beef, is a wonderful culinary treat for the superior quality of its fat. While exploring their rich selection of meat, you can also delight in their wines from various parts of the world.
TENTATIONOpen: [Monday, Tuesday, Thursday - Sunday, National Holidays, Day before National Holidays] Dinner 5:00 pm - 12:00 am (L.O. 11:30 pm) Open at year-end and new year periods (Closed at 11:00 pm)
Average price: [Dinner] 4,000 JPY
Access: Go 2 blocks north from the intersection at Sanjyo Kiyamachi and pass the small bridge over Takasegawa river. Located on the 3rd floor of the building at the south end.
Address: 3F, 534-31, Ebisu-cho, Nakagyoy-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto (Map)
10. Wine and Meat Daisen (Kyoto)Just a 7-minute walk from Kyoto Station, this relaxing bar on the first floor of a hotel will make you forget the city hustle and bustle. They whip up Italian dishes that make full use of the ingredients’ flavors. Their bestseller is the [Char-Grilled Kyoto Hime Beef Rump]. Diners will get to enjoy the tender lean meat and the tastiness of the fat. The dish is a culinary masterpiece; the beef is served with a sauce of red wine, soy sauce, Maldon sea salt from France, and Ikkuji natto (fermented soybeans) from Uji City. In addition to the rump, they also use the other parts of this Kyoto breed of cow, such as the ribeye, top sirloin cap, and top blade.
Wine and Meat DaisenOpen: [Weekdays, Saturday] 5:30 pm - 12:00 am (L.O. 11:00 pm)
Average price: [Dinner] 4,000 JPY
Access: 7 minutes walk from Kyoto station no.1 exit on JR Tokaido Main Line. Located at the west of Nishi-Honganji temple.
Address: 58, Shokuya-cho, Akezu-dori Shomen-sagaru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto (Map)
11. Bunrin Steak House (Fujinomori)Bunrin stands in Okamedani, a quiet and sophisticated part of Fushimi Ward in Kyoto. Not only do guests get to enjoy Japan’s unique culture through things like taking off their shoes at the entrance of the restaurant, but they also get to savor steaks made from carefully selected Wagyu and French dishes made with seasonal vegetables grown by the restaurant staff. Aside from the Wagyu steak, another popular dish is the [Bunrin Beef Curry] that brings out the deliciousness of the beef. Make sure not to miss this place when you visit Kyoto!
Bunrin Steak HouseOpen: Lunch 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm, Dinner 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Closed: Monday *Opens if Monday falls on a national holiday
Average price: 7,500 JPY
Address: 85, Oyama-cho, Okamedani, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto (Map)
12. Citron Ble (Karasuma)The charming appearance of Citron Ble will remind you of a French bistro. The different kinds of chairs are antique European pieces that were brought by the chef from France. The chef, who had trained in a long-established restaurant specializing in aged meat from France, uses his expertise in creating his steak made with aged meat. The dish is a culinary delight that will satiate meat lovers. Their [Rump Steak] is made only with carefully selected aged meat, so you get to taste the natural, delicious flavor of the meat. They also have 70 kinds of wines, focusing on those that are produced locally and made only from domestically grown grapes.
Citron BleOpen: Lunch 12:00 am - 3:00 pm (L.O. 2:00 pm), Dinner 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm (L.O. 10:00 pm)
Average price: [Dinner] 5,000 JPY / [Lunch] 1,500 JPY
Address: 2F North, 285, Misayama-cho, Higashi Notoin-agaru, Takoyakushi, Nagakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto (Map)
13. Kyoto FOOD HUB & LABO (Jujo)This bar provides a stylish space like those in New York. It is a new hangout where you can taste Italian cuisine filled with the chef’s innovative ideas that are prepared with carefully chosen ingredients and cooking methods. Their [US Beef T-Bone Steak] is splendidly grilled over firewood, a rarity in most restaurants. With this simple method, the great flavor and fragrance of the meat are released. It is voluminous, so it is good for sharing with others.
Kyoto FOOD HUB & LABOOpen: [Tuesday - Saturday] Lunch 11:30 am - 2:30 pm (L.O. 2:00 pm), Dinner 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm (L.O. 10:00 pm)
[Sunday] Lunch 11:30 am - 2:30 pm (L.O. 2:00 pm), Dinner 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm (L.O. 9:00 pm)
Closed: Monday, 3rd Tuesday of the month
Average price: [Dinner] 3,000 JPY / [Lunch] 1,000 JPY
Address: 57-3, Minami Kawabe-cho, Higashi Kujo, Minami-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto (Map)
14. Lodgepole (Nagitsuji)Lodgepole is an American restaurant and coffee shop that stands in a residential area of Kyoto. Its chef, who has lived in the USA, faithfully reproduces authentic American flavors. The interior looks exactly like the bistros you’d find in America. If there's something you have to try in Lodgepole, it's got to be their original [Bourbon Steak], which comes highly recommended by the chef. Using meat from the U.S., they take the lean part from the strip loin and stew it with bourbon, giving it a sweet flavor. When you're done with your meal, have an aromatic cup of coffee made with their espresso machine from Italy.
LodgepoleOpen: [Tuesday - Sunday, and National Holidays] Lunch 11:30 am - 3:30 pm (L.O. 3:30 pm), Tea Time 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm, Dinner 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm (L.O. 9:30 pm)
[Weekends, National Holidays] Breakfast 9:00 am - 11:00 am (L.O. 11:00 am)
Average price: [Dinner] 3,500 JPY / [Lunch] 1,000 JPY
Address: 9-1, Kusakaido-cho, Nagitsuji, Yamashina-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto (Map)
15. YOSHIYA (Karasuma Oike)YOSHIYA is a teppanyaki restaurant offering Kuroge Wagyu and Kyo-Yasai (traditional vegetables from Kyoto) dishes that you can enjoy with all your senses. The head chef himself carefully chooses these ingredients. Once you pass through its impressive entranceway, a quiet and tranquil space welcomes you. It has horigotatsu (sunken kotatsu tables) seating so that you can spend a relaxing time with your family and friends. From tender and delicate fillet to juicy grilled sirloin, enjoy the original cuisine prepared by the chef whose expertise is on seafood and Italian dishes.
YOSHIYAOpen: [Weekdays, Saturday, National Holidays] Lunch 11:30 am - 2:30 pm (L.O. 1:30 pm), Dinner 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm (L.O. 9:30 pm)
[Sunday] Dinner 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm (L.O. 9:30 pm)
Closed: Wednesday *May suddenly close temporarily
Average price: [Dinner] 8,000 JPY / [Lunch] 2,000 JPY
Address: 1F-A, Charmeuse Nijo Takakura, 59, Matsuya-cho, Takakura Nishi-iru, Nijo-dori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto (Map)
More Details From steak houses that are on par with the best ones to elegant Japanese-style teppanyaki restaurants, Kyoto has many well-known dining places that offer different kinds of cuisine. Pick a couple of restaurants in this article and visit them in-between your sightseeing in Kyoto!