Like and Share us
When travelling, it's only natural that you want to spend your evening enjoying local flavors and specialties along with a few delicious drinks. To that end, here are 14 izakayas (Japanese pubs) and bars to try out in Hiroshima!
1. Wasoshuzen Zero (Matsunaga / Japanese Izakaya)Japan's seasons are on display at Wasoshuzen Zero's entrance, which is bedecked with greenery that changes throughout the year - bright new green in spring, golden leaves in fall, and so on. Step inside, and private rooms branch off from the gravel-strewn hallway, creating a stylish and unique Japanese aesthetic. This restaurant specializes in Japanese cuisine and offers diners the chance to experience original creations such as the [Handmade Hamburg Steak with Wasabi Butter]. There is also a large selection of drinks to go along with the food, from rare choices like "Moriizou" premium shochu (Japanese alcohol) to non-alcoholic options as well.
Wasoshuzen ZeroOpen: Lunch 11:30 am - 2:30 pm / Dinner 5:30 pm - 0:00 am
Average price: [Dinner] 3,000 JPY / [Lunch] 1,280 JPY
Access: About 10 minutes by foot south of Matsunaga station on the JR Sanyo Main Line
Address: 1F 5-9-30 Matsunaga-cho, Fukuyama-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
2. Wine Izakaya Charbon (Hatchobori / Italian Cuisine)Enjoy the evening at your own pace at this wine izakaya that boasts a chef with 19 years of experience working at hotels and a wine selection curated by a sommelier. As the name "charbon" (French for "charcoal") implies, the star attraction here is the charcoal-grilled meat. Great care is given to choosing the production regions of the meat, with choices including Etajima chicken, Iwami pork, and Taoshita beef, all of which are skillfully cooked to retain their delicious umami (Japanese savory taste). Furthermore, a glass of wine starts from 380 JPY, and there are 30 varieties for diners to choose from! The [90-Minute All-You-Can-Drink Wine] option is another popular choice, featuring wines carefully chosen by the sommelier.
Wine Izakaya CharbonOpen: [Monday, Wednesday-- Sunday] Normal hours 5:30 pm - 1:00 am (last order 12:00 am)
Average price: [Dinner] 3,500 JPY
Access: Five minute walk from the Hiroden Hatchobori tram stop. Head south and turn right at the fourth set of lights. Located on the right, past Namikidori street.
Address: 7-12 Fukuromachi , Naka-ku, Hiroshima, Hiroshima (Map)
3. Sky Restaurant and Lounge L&R (Hiroshima / French Cuisine)This stylish restaurant and lounge, connected directly to Hiroshima Station, offers classic French cuisine. Enjoy a graceful, elegant dinner while taking in the nighttime views of Hiroshima from the restaurant's location on the building's uppermost 21st floor. Options include the [Chef's Recommended Seafood], [Beef Tenderloin with Specially-Made Sauce], and [Foie Gras]. Guests can also enjoy original cocktails here featuring local ingredients at the eye-catching bar counter in the center of the room. Order your favorite drink and spend a memorable night here.
Sky Restaurant and Lounge L&ROpen: Lunch 11:30 am - 2:00 pm / Tea Time 11:30 m - 5:00 pm * tea time is only available on Weekends, and on National Holidays / Dinner 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm / Bar Time 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Average price: [Dinner] 4,000 JPY / [Lunch] 2,500 JPY
Access: 2 minutes walk from the Shinkansen Exit of JR Hiroshima Station. On 21F of the HOTEL GRANVIA HIROSHIMA
Address: 21F, HOTEL GRANVIA HIROSHIMA, 1-5, Matsubara-cho, Minami-ku, Hiroshima city, Hiroshima (Map)
4. RAKU BAR Tatemachi Branch (Tatemachi / Gastropub)RAKU BAR is known for its meat dishes, and the chef at this Italian restaurant is a former butcher. There are many meaty options here, but the recommended choice is the [Meat Fest]. The centerpiece of this dish is an impressive 40cm Vienna sausage, and it also includes meats brought in that day, all of which are presented on one plate for a hearty meal that is sure to satisfy any diner. The wines here pair well with the meat, and the buyer visits production regions multiple times throughout the year to put together this personally-approved selection. The variety of cocktails featuring wine are another popular choice, and there is a phenomenally well-priced all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink course available as well, so both your stomach and your wallet are sure to be pleased!
RAKU BAR Tatemachi branchOpen: Lunch 11:30 am - 5:00 pm (L.O. 4:00 pm) [Monday - Thursday, Sunday] Dinner 5:00 pm - 1:00 am (L.O. 12:00 am) [Friday, Saturday, National Holidays, Day before National Holidays] Dinner 5:00 pm - 2:00 am (L.O. 1:00 am)
Average price: [Dinner] 3,500 JPY / [Lunch] 800 JPY
Access: 1 minute walk from Tatemachi Stop on Hiroshima Electric Railway Line
Address: 1F, G House, 5-7, Tatemachi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
5. Denko-Sekka Ekimae-Hiroba branch (Hiroshima / Okonomiyaki & Monja)This popular, lively restaurant is only a 3-minute walk from Hiroshima Station. Take a seat on one of the circular red chairs at the counter and enjoy the spectacle of teppanyaki (ingredients grilled on an iron griddle) as the chef creates your okonomiyaki (Japanese savory pancake) right in front of you. You can also enjoy high-quality Hiroshima specialties here such as oysters and Momiji pork cooked on the teppan. A [Hiroshima Highball] is the recommended drink choice for this kind of cuisine. This exceptionally delicious drink uses Hiroshima lemon, nashi (Japanese pear), and Hassaku orange for a bright, fresh flavor that will make perk you up in an instant after a long, tiring day. The wide drink selection also includes many popular regional brands such as local Hiroshima sake (another type of Japanese alcohol) and Kyushu shochu.
Denko-Sekka Ekimae-Hiroba branchOpen: 10:00 am - 11:00 pm (L.O. 10:30 pm)
Average price: [Dinner] 1,500 JPY / [Lunch] 1,000 JPY
Access: 3 minutes walk from Hiroshima Station. On the 6th floor of Hiroshima Full Focus Bldg., at Hiroshima Okonomi Monogatari Station Square
Address: 6F, Full Focus Bldg., 10-1, Matsubara-cho, Minami-ku, Hiroshima, Hiroshima (Map)
6. Reichan (Hiroshima / Okonomiyaki & Monja)Reichan has been in business for over 60 years, but it has always remained faithful to the original flavor of its Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki. If you are looking to experience this establishment's unadorned, timeless flavor, the [Soba or Udon Okonomiyaki] is the best option. And if you want to sample one of Hiroshima's must-try flavors, then the [Ikaten], okonomiyaki containing surume ika (flying squid) tempura, is a classic. Beer is a must no matter what you decide on, and this combination is so delicious that you won't be able to put your chopsticks down! This famous spot is popular not only with locals, but also with people visiting for business trips or sightseeing, and it simply can't be skipped when in Hiroshima.
ReichanOpen: 11:00 am -10:00 pm (last order 9:30 pm)
Average price: [Dinner] 999 JPY
Access: It is on the second floor of the Hiroshima station building "Asse."
Address: 2F Hiroshima Station Building ASSE, 2-37 Matsubara-cho, Minami-ku, Hiroshima, Hiroshima (Map)
7. Continental Dining Renaissance (Tatemachi / Western-style Izakaya)Enjoy Italian cuisine and drinks at this relaxed spot, conceptualized as a "Western izakaya". The most popular choice here is the [Shrimp and Tarako Cream Sauce Pasta], made using fresh pasta that has a springy texture. The noodles absorb the rich sauce, making for an irresistible dish. There are many wine and cocktail options as well, and there is a course which includes an all-you-can-drink option, an especially good deal for diners interested in sampling a variety of drinks. Enjoy the diverse dishes offered here to your heart's content, such as the [Beef Cheek Stewed in Red Wine], stewed for 4 hours, and the cheese-filled [Handmade Rice Croquette], all of which are perfect accompaniments for drinks.
Continental Dining RenaissanceOpen: Teatime: 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm Dinnertime: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Average price: [Dinner] 3,000 JPY / [Lunch] 800 JPY
Access: A 1-minute walk from Parco. Take the main street from in front of Parco, and turn right at Megane Ichiba, the restaurant is on the 2nd floor of the building two doors down from Sakurai flower shop.
Address: Kanaya Bldg. 2F , 2-2 Hondori , Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
8. Isoroku (Kure / Izakaya)This casual izakaya's exterior, built to evoke Kure's harbor, is sure to catch your eye. The many drinks available showcase the Setouchi region, and guests can enjoy well-known sake brands from Ondo, Nigata, and Kure here, as well as the [Etajima Orange Highball], all must-try drinks when in this part of Japan! The many local Setouchi products used in the food are another plus, such as local oysters and other seafood, fresh produce like lemons and Hiroshima onions, and local chicken. One particularly popular item is the [Nikujaga Demi-nikomi], a take on the classic Japanese home cooking dish of nikujaga (meat and potato stew).
IsorokuOpen: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm (L.O. 10:30 pm)
Average price: 2,800 JPY
Address: 6-77, Takara-machi, Kure-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
9. Kamefuku (Hatchobori / Izakaya)This restaurant is renowned for its seafood dishes, which feature Hiroshima's famous large oysters and fresh anago (eel) sashimi. A surprisingly large variety of seafood is brought in fresh every day, after which it is transformed with Japanese cutting, steaming, and grilling techniques into over 120 dishes. The open kitchen lets diners in on the exciting sounds and smells of the food being prepared, elevating the restaurant's already lively atmosphere even further. There is a wide range of drinks available, including a particularly good sake selection that covers everything from rare choices for enthusiasts to more standard options. Get pleasantly buzzed on their choice local sake and take your night out in Hiroshima to the next level!
KamefukuOpen: [Monday - Thursday, National Holidays, Day before National Holidays] 5:00 pm - 12:00 am (L.O. 11:00 pm)
[Friday, Saturday] 5:00 pm - 12:00 am (L.O.)
Closed: Sunday *Open if it's a national holiday
Average price: 4,500 JPY
Address: 2F, Shintenchi Leisure Bldg., 1-9, Shintenchi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
10. Bikkuri (Hatchobori / Izakaya)The Chinese chef at this izakaya creates authentic food true to the flavors of his home country, all based on the concept of "Tasty, Affordable, Fun". The diverse menu ranges from standard options like [Yaki-gyoza] (fried dumpling), the perfect companion for beer, and [Xiaolongbao] (steamed soup dumplings) which burst with juicy flavor when bitten into, to authentically spicy Sichuan cuisine. There is also an all-you-can-eat-and all-you-can-drink plan available which allows diners to sample some 50 kinds of Chinese cooking, a good choice for guests looking to enjoy a hearty amount of food and drink. There are also many playful options at this fun restaurant, such as the mystery drinks inside the [Surprise Box]!
BikkuriOpen: [Weekdays] Lunch 11:30 am - 1:30 pm, Dinner 5:00 pm - 12:00 am
[Saturday, Sunday, National Holidays] Dinner 5:00 pm - 12:00 am
Average price: 3,500 JPY
Address: 5-13, Horikawa-cho, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
11. Guttsuri-tei (Tanna-cho / Seafood Izakaya)This Setouchi seafood izakaya is the real deal; it's run by actual fishermen and offers angler's fare and drinks. Once ordered, live fish and shellfish are taken from the massive fish tank inside the restaurant and prepared on the spot using various techniques such as grilling, stewing, and steaming. The star attraction at Guttsuri-tei is the [Freshly Caught Seafood], which includes seafood such as sazae (horned turbans) and awabi (abalone), grilled on a brazier to create a sumptuous dish. The flavors of the seafood itself shine here and can be sampled for a low price thanks to the restaurant doubling as a fish shop. This spot's building is also notable for being shaped like a boat. So, come on down - the cheerful fishermen here are waiting to serve you!
Guttsuri-teiOpen: [Weekdays, Saturday] 5:00 pm - 1:00 am
[Sunday, National Holidays] 5:00 pm - 12:00 am
Average price: 3,500 JPY
Address: 1-34, Tanna-cho, Minami-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
12. Ichika (Hatchobori / Izakaya)Ichika is an izakaya specializing in charcoal-cooked dishes made with carefully selected ingredients that pair outstandingly well with alcohol! There is no rushing and no shortcuts are taken with these dishes, such as the hand-made and deliberately-cooked tsukune (chicken meatballs) featured in the [Tsukune Burger with Poached Egg]. Diners can also relax in the knowledge that this food uses absolutely no additives or artificial flavorings. The sake lining the walls focuses particularly on junmaishu (sake made without additives) that is served warm. The selection includes a number of brands rarely encountered in Hiroshima. This spot's warm, wooden interior creates a relaxing Japanese aesthetic, ideal for enjoying an evening drink.
IchikaOpen: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am
Average price: 3,000 JPY
Address: 2F, Honshu Kaikan, 6-10, Shintenchi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
13. AKAMARU (Hondori / Japanese Cuisine)Enjoy delicious food made with fresh ingredients for a reasonable price at this izakaya! Many choices go well with drinks here, such as the [Thick-cut Bacon], [Stewed Beef Tendon], and [3-Variety Sashimi Sampler]. There are over 100 drinks to choose from as well, including sake, wine, cocktails, and sours. Diners may struggle to decide just which of these tasty dishes to order - the very best kind of problem! The naked lightbulbs gently illuminating the restaurant's slightly retro interior bring to mind festival stalls, making just sitting and soaking in the ambience fun in and of itself!
AKAMARUOpen: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am
Closed: Sunday, National Holidays, Beginning and end of the year *Open on Sunday when Monday is a national holiday.
Address: 2-1-7, Otemachi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
14. Torinoya (Kure / Izakaya)This izakaya specializes in original creations and is located in Kure's lively downtown shopping area. Sample a wide variety of sake and dishes that bring out the flavors of the fresh meat, fish, and vegetables used in them. Recommendations include the soft and juicy [Grilled Yam and Cheese], cooked in the style of an okonomiyaki, as well as the [Sashimi Sampler], featuring the day's fresh fish, and the [Skewer Sampler], which offers diners the chance to try a large selection of grilled skewers, including gizzards, skin, and tsukune. Stretch out your legs and relax in a private room with a horigotatsu (sunken kotatsu table) while enjoying this spot's rich and diverse menu!
TorinoyaOpen: 4:30 pm - 12:00 am (L.O. 11:30 pm)
Closed: First and third Monday of the month *Open on national holidays, but then closed the following Tuesday.
Average price: 3,000 JPY
Address: 4-3-24, Hon-dori, Kure-shi, Hiroshima (Map)
More DetailsReady to head to these izakaya and bars to experience Hiroshima's local ingredients and popular brands of alcohol? Discover your favorite spot and enjoy an excellent night out in Hiroshima!